I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: DO LOUD PIPES ACTUALLY SAVE LIVES?
This poll will close (Eastern Standard Time) on 01-19-2019 at 11:28 PM
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
DO LOUD PIPES ACTUALLY SAVE LIVES?

Old 10-12-2018, 12:25 AM
Getting up to speed

Loud Pipes - Do They Save Lives?

So, I've been riding for over 50 years on various bikes from mini bikes to Harleys. Some of those bikes were quiet as a mouse and some as loud as my ex wife, and I'm still alive.

So my question is - DO LOUD PIPES ACTUALLY SAVE LIVES?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Re: Loud Pipes - Do They Save Lives?

Like you Capn, I have some bikes with polar opposite personalities.

Sometimes I absolutely LOVE a ride listening to the rumble of my V4 and gear driven cams. Other times I prefer a bike where the police don't hear me coming from 2 miles out.

Do loud pipes save lives? I've been addressing that in my signature for about 10 years now with:

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Talking Re: Loud Pipes - Do They Save Lives?

I've not found that stock pipes kill people...
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,181 Posts

Most riders associate loud pipes with Harley's of course that is not always the case.

I've been riding Harley's for a very long time and I only once swapped out the shorty stock mufflers on a Fatboy for louder pipes.

After less than 1 month I put the stock pipes back on.

I don't like excessively loud bikes or cars.

I personally don't for one minute think loud pipes save lives.

Good riding skills keep us safe and of course some luck helps as well.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-12-2018, 06:38 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,541 Times in 612 Posts

It was once explained to me that the sort of people whose sight is sufficiently poor that they can't see us are most probably sufficiently deaf that they can't hear us as well. Best as Bruce says to rely on good riding skills.
BMW R90S
Old 10-12-2018, 07:12 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

All loud pipes do is piss people off and make you deaf. Unbelievable how many asshats are running around with straight pipes on Harley's. I used to do that shit to my lawnmower when I was 12 by replacing the muffler with a pieces of water pipe because I thought it would make more power. Same logic with the Harley crowd, guess they never grew up or are too ignorant to know the difference. Loud pipe don't save lives, but maybe they give you a Woodie and make you think you're riding something powerful. Oh how clueless those people are.....

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-K' for this post:
Old 10-13-2018, 05:34 AM
WACKY RACER

I used to tell my students that argued loud saves lives,

They should put tape on the horn button and really be safe!!!

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 10-13-2018, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
All loud pipes do is piss people off and make you deaf. Unbelievable how many asshats are running around with straight pipes on Harley's. I used to do that shit to my lawnmower when I was 12 by replacing the muffler with a pieces of water pipe because I thought it would make more power. Same logic with the Harley crowd, guess they never grew up or are too ignorant to know the difference. Loud pipe don't save lives, but maybe they give you a Woodie and make you think you're riding something powerful. Oh how clueless those people are.....
Rick:

No doubt the Harley riders are the biggest group that run loud pipes but make no mistake they are certainly not the only ones.

Many of the sport riders have insanely loud pipes on their bikes just as loud if not louder than the HD riders.

And many of the other brands cruiser riders are doing the same thing.

You want to solve the problem do what they do at the race tracks(now there you would think it is appropriate to run open exhaust to gain more power)enforce the federal decibel limit for street bikes at the track the limit is higher typically based on where the track is in relationship to other dwellings typically private homes.

In MA we have an annual inspection - just do a sound check too loud you fail inspection.

I don't like the random road blocks or even the cop who is guessing - we want to get the noise down we can - but bitching about is not the way to do it.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,037 Times in 395 Posts

It's a bad thing and a stain on motorcyclist everywhere because people who don't know anything about it lump us all together. But, I can sort of understand why someone owning a Harley would want it to be part of that Rolling Thunder sort of thing. Not that I agree with it, but I can see the motivation.

The thing that defies reason are all my sport bike pals that put cat delete pipes and that Austin Racing can on their S1000RR - it makes more noise than any HD has ever made and it makes it in a frequency range that bores into your mind. Just the noise is objectionable enough but what most of those guys apparently don't realize is that it's made their bikes less powerful and less rideable. I've been to a few dyno days with a crowd of these guys putting their bikes on the dyno and not a single one of them made as much power as my bone stock S1000RR. They all go away complaining that they got some bad gas or some such nonsense when in actuality, they spent several thousand dollars worth of bolt on performance parts and didn't tune it out properly (or at all) and ended up making more noise and less power.

Maybe we're all old coots now but I'd rather that LEO didn't hear me coming from a mile away when I roll in to those sleepy little speed traps in West Virginia. That's worth a lot more to me than thinking I'm cool making all that bad-ass racket.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
K-K
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Rick:

No doubt the Harley riders are the biggest group that run loud pipes but make no mistake they are certainly not the only ones.

Many of the sport riders have insanely loud pipes on their bikes just as loud if not louder than the HD riders.

And many of the other brands cruiser riders are doing the same thing.

You want to solve the problem do what they do at the race tracks(now there you would think it is appropriate to run open exhaust to gain more power)enforce the federal decibel limit for street bikes at the track the limit is higher typically based on where the track is in relationship to other dwellings typically private homes.

In MA we have an annual inspection - just do a sound check too loud you fail inspection.

I don't like the random road blocks or even the cop who is guessing - we want to get the noise down we can - but bitching about is not the way to do it.

Bruce, can't argue with anything you said. My prediction and coming to a street near you: Automated sound testing cameras. Go by as "rolling thunder" or a swarm of super bee's and it will nab you. Just a matter of time as municipalities get more desperate for our hard earned $$$$...

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 10-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
Bruce, can't argue with anything you said. My prediction and coming to a street near you: Automated sound testing cameras. Go by as "rolling thunder" or a swarm of super bee's and it will nab you. Just a matter of time as municipalities get more desperate for our hard earned $$$$...
No doubt sooner than later noise control is coming.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
It's a bad thing and a stain on motorcyclist everywhere because people who don't know anything about it lump us all together. But, I can sort of understand why someone owning a Harley would want it to be part of that Rolling Thunder sort of thing. Not that I agree with it, but I can see the motivation.

The thing that defies reason are all my sport bike pals that put cat delete pipes and that Austin Racing can on their S1000RR - it makes more noise than any HD has ever made and it makes it in a frequency range that bores into your mind. Just the noise is objectionable enough but what most of those guys apparently don't realize is that it's made their bikes less powerful and less rideable. I've been to a few dyno days with a crowd of these guys putting their bikes on the dyno and not a single one of them made as much power as my bone stock S1000RR. They all go away complaining that they got some bad gas or some such nonsense when in actuality, they spent several thousand dollars worth of bolt on performance parts and didn't tune it out properly (or at all) and ended up making more noise and less power.

Maybe we're all old coots now but I'd rather that LEO didn't hear me coming from a mile away when I roll in to those sleepy little speed traps in West Virginia. That's worth a lot more to me than thinking I'm cool making all that bad-ass racket.
Wes:

So many riders fall into that trap - install performance exhaust and think they gained instant power.

Most performance exhaust are tuned for a certain range and you need to get the bike dialed in and you absolutely need to know what you are trying to achieve other than a louder than a Deep Purple concert exhaust.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,409 Times in 881 Posts

Red face Re: Loud Pipes - Do They Save Lives?

I used to think not.

But the loud pipes do make people aware that there are motorcycles in addition to other vehicles on the road.

Also, they make you aware that a motorcycle is in the lane beside you.

YRMV
Old 10-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

the loud is not just a harley problem as others have said.

the problem is the noise annoys other drivers, neighbors, restaurant patrons, etc. we all get lumped into the same group....idiot bikers. just builds up a prejudice against us that makes it more and more dangerous to ride.

i am big fan of stealth. run quiet, be visible, and smile and wave. i am having fun when riding and want to share that with others.

quiet pipes make friends, loud pipes make enemies.
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mlytle' for this post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have been guilty of running loud cars, bikes and sleds. I once had an Indy 600 sled that I'm sure could have shattered windows. I know it frayed a lot of nerves. One of the by products of having pipes is the 'need' to hear them - how many times have you heard someone letting the pipes bark cruising downtown on a Friday night. Cool at the track or leaving the bike show - not cool in mixed company.
Today I prefer a more moderate approach. I feel far safer on my K1300GT with stock pipes riding with diligence than I ever did on my GS750 with a very rude exhaust system. My '81 Suzuki GS1100 is outfitted with a Kerker pipe but the silencer is maintained and when cruising it is almost at stock levels.
Did I feel safer louder? Not at all. Rider skill and attitude are the determining factors - not decibels.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'HellsBasement' for this post:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:06 AM
Twisted Wrister

I'm glad that the racket from my Akrapovic is for the entertainment of those I've left behind.

For the me, the best sound a motorcycle can ever possibly make is when you've just had the valves shimmed and carbs balanced on a Yamaha FJ1200 ; you roll off the throttle as you enter a stone-built Cotswold village, and the speedo slips down from 50 to 30 mph.

Just love that whispering mechanical turbine-like whirr you only get from a superbly over-engineered and healthy big four.
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 10-20-2018, 06:58 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I'd say it depends, but that's not an option.

Cars won't hear you most likely so no, but deer might. I rode through the Shasta Valley in California with the stereo on full blast on my GoldWing and the deer all just looked. At home I had music through helmet Bluetooth and a deer ran out in front of me. Bang!
Old 10-21-2018, 12:36 AM
Getting up to speed

Its a mix. I think past a certain point.. they're just annoying. I once had an 86 vt1100c.. that a few times I had someone start coming over, and as I started to accelerate out of their way, you'd see it dawn on the person that a bike was there. The pipes weren't LOUD, but if you twisted the throttle, they woke up and let you know someone was there. I'm more particular about lane position and keeping a little more open between me and the cages. No more close calls on the k12rs, and its quieter than my sewing machine.

I believe in certain circumstances, a loud pipe can help.. but its just as easy to avoid said situation.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:55 AM
Shooting the gap

https://youtu.be/AV7EhbxcuQI

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81

Sounds like my V-Twin Cub Cadet tractor, is that what it is?

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 10-22-2018, 08:39 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
Sounds like my V-Twin Cub Cadet tractor, is that what it is?

R100RS.
https://youtu.be/vTqO1hABIzw

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Shooting the gap

Every year around here a local H-D Rider becomes a human vegetable or worse due to a motorcycle accident - single/multiple vehicle makes no difference. His/Her close Friends typically have a Benefit Party to raise money for the Rider or/and his Spouse/Offspring. So, you can draw your own conclusions if "Loud Pipes Save Lives".

Ever notice how when you're parked at a Restaurant and you're about to start up your bike, if there's a small child nearby, his Parents will warn the Child to cover his ears cause it's gonna be loud? Seems the General Public assumes all brands of Motorcycles are loud by default. Do we thank the H-D Riders for this?
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.