I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Riding > Riding Styles and Techniques > TRACK > Riding General Discussion
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-24-2018, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,517 Times in 3,201 Posts

Calabogie 2018

Another Calabogie invitational in the books. I went to my second Calabogie event this past week.

For track day riders this has to be possibly one of the best events anywhere.

First of all you have to be invited to this private event. You need to have someone vouch for you that you are an experienced track rider and not a knucklehead to have the event organizer even consider letting you in.

Then there is the problem he limits the riders to somewhere around 60.

Took me a few years to get on the list - the other way is to hope there are a few cancelations and you can get one of those spots.

Well I was able to get our own Matt B invited and a few other friends to this years event.

I gave them all my word that this event is the best they will attend all year.

I rent a house about 10 minutes from the track that as we found out can accommodate easily 8 maybe 10 if pushed.

I took a lot of video but I think it has all been lost - I uploaded it last night to my computer but it is nowhere to be found and it erased my SD card at the same time. I will try to find it and if I do I will post some videos.

The weather was perfect 3 days of unlimited riding on a 3.3 mile track that is in perfect condition.

Well there is actually 2 groups - green group(fast) yellow group(slow) trust me there really is no slow group. First of all you can ride in either group all day long - just take the checkered flag and go right back out in the other group.

I did 4 - 20 minute sessions in a row on the second day - I found out that I'm really an old guy and not only physically is that darn hard to do mentally it gets very close to impossible to stay focused for that length of time.

Our good friend Matt B actually shocked me - he bought a few sets of new tires - one set of rains and a set of slicks. For those of you that know Matt he rides on tires that are not only typically from another decade but typically completely worn out.

Now for the record he bought the tires but he did not use them. He mentioned the tires he was riding on this week were as old as 10 years old - I'm not going there - he does what he does.

He will probably save them for another 5 years or so.

Also our good friend Chris(falconcan) rode up on Wednesday to hang out with us - it was his first time going to a track. He stayed over Wednesday night came to the track for a few hours on Thursday before heading home.

Chris is a great guy and a good friend I was really glad to see him - kind of made him a promise I would ride up to his house next summer for a few days of riding with him - I hope the shoulder is squared away by then.

A pic of Chris, Matt and me - heck I know I'm short but these guys make me look like I'm a kid - a very old kid at that.

Another pic of Chris at the house with Joe - Joe is a friend of mine that just happens to be the fastest track rider I know.

A pic of the other folks that went up. Left to right Crystal, Matt, Anthony, Calvin, Douglas and Joe.

Hanging out between sessions.

Now I know all of these folks but most of them didn't know each other until meeting up in Calabogie. It took about 5 minutes for everyone to feel like they were all old friends.

Anthony and Matt kept talking about eating healthy - this pic is what Matt was eating for breakfast.

And Anthony!

It was a great group of guys and of course our one female friend Crystal. Crystal takes a lot of crap from the guys but she sure knows how to handle us and can dish it out pretty good herself.

Crystal and Anthony own a high performance car driving school - they are both MSF instructors - Anthony is the head of the MSF in Rhode Island I believe. Crystal is an RN as well.

She is a darn good track rider as well - and just happens to be a real gear head - she does most of the work on all their bikes, cars and trailers.

I can't forget to mention Chris and Vickie - skapan and poosieposse1 if they had not kept on me to make this event - well I would be missing something very special. I don't know how I don't have a pic of them but they are the very best friends bar none.

On the way home on Friday we stopped for lunch in Syracuse, NY - Douglas called his brother Pete who lives in Syracuse to meet up with us for lunch. Pete just bought a K1600GT and is loving it.

I can't put into words how great these track events are - but as good as they are the best part of the trip was hanging out with some of the very best people I know - they are great friends - really funny and for the most part way smarter than this old small town guy.

I just can't think of anything I rather be doing - riding motorcycles - hanging out with my friends - hanging off motorcycles at the track at speeds that continue to amaze this almost 61 year old rider.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (8) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 06-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Calabogie 2018

Totally agree. Great weather, great track and great friends. Hope to see you again before next year!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'skapan' for this post:
Old 06-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Administrator

I also forgot to mention it seems any time I have to cross a border I get picked out to get checked out.

On the way home - no one has any issues crossing the border - except me. The guy asked all the usual questions and I answered them - no smart a** remarks.

He asked what I had in the trailer right after asking me where I had come from - which I said Calabogie for a motorcycle event.

He wanted paperwork on the bikes which I had - which completely confused him - the bikes are registered but have never been on the street nor are they street legal so of course no license plates.

I have to register them to have insurance in Massachusetts.

Had to let him look inside the trailer. Between the bikes on the floor of the trailer I keep the canopy leg sandbags - black filled with sand - he asked what was inside of the bags - I really wanted to say why of course 50 kilos of cocaine but thought better of it and said sand.

He thought about it for a fleeting second - I just knew he was going to make me dump them out - he didn't.

Anthony and Crystal were right behind me in line - Crystal took this pic.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 06-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Site Contributor

Bruce , I had a great time.

Was really nice to see you (again) and meet your friends. What a diverse group of people. All with one thing in common. To improve every time they go out on the track.
Way too fast for this old guy.

" The real motorcycle you are working on is yourself " robert pirsig
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'falconcan' for this post:
Old 06-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconcan
Bruce , I had a great time.

Was really nice to see you (again) and meet your friends. What a diverse group of people. All with one thing in common. To improve every time they go out on the track.
Way too fast for this old guy.
Chris absolutely was great seeing you and my friend it is not too fast for you and you are not too old - you seem to ride your K1300S pretty well - and these track bikes are much lighter.

Heck if I can do it anyone can. I will post a video - finally found them on my computer - I rarely cranked it up - the track was basically empty most of the time - not to mention I had to go slow enough for Matt to catch up - and then the nice guy I am I stayed behind him to video him.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 PM
Administrator

A short vid mostly of me following Matt. The RR was barely breathing at this pace - but for an old guy it sure is a lot of fun.

The camera view does not do the track justice - especially when the camera is behind the windscreen.
[IMG][/IMG]

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 06-26-2018, 12:56 AM
Site Contributor

I searched youtube for some track vids after you posted this thread. The track looks awesome.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:22 PM
Administrator

JW:

If you ever get the chance to go there I promise you will not be disappointed - it truly is a great track.

Now if you could get invited to this private event for sure you will have an exceptional track experience.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:34 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
A short vid mostly of me following Matt. The RR was barely breathing at this pace - but for an old guy it sure is a lot of fun.

The camera view does not do the track justice - especially when the camera is behind the windscreen.
Thanks for the video Bruce. Same story that I've been fighting for years... body position. Oh well, it was a helluva lotta fun.
It kills me how often your traction control light is going off, that BMW has some big cajones.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 06-27-2018, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
Thanks for the video Bruce. Same story that I've been fighting for years... body position. Oh well, it was a helluva lotta fun.
It kills me how often your traction control light is going off, that BMW has some big cajones.
Matt:

You looked pretty good to me - okay maybe not MotoGP body position but for us less talented pretty darn good.

In regard to the traction control - since I was trying to drive out of the corners sooner than I normally do I cranked it up a little.

Most of the time the TC was not activating because of the rear wheel slipping - simply because of my lean angles - the TC works both by lean angle and actual lose of traction.

Not once did I ever feel it - or when applying the throttle did I notice it. When the traction control activates from an actual lose of traction you most certainly feel it in the throttle - because the throttle simply does not respond until the tire stops slipping.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)