I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > General Discussions > Motorcycle Gear , Accessories & Apparel > Helmets
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Helmets Different brands, experiences, etc. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Speed Demon

Shoei Neotec I or Neotrc II

I'm in the market for a modular helmet and have a chance to buy a Neotec I on sale for about 500 bucks or buy a Neotec II for $630. My question is the Neotec II worth the extra 130 bucks over the Neotec I? Allegedly the Neotec II is quieter, a tad lighter, has better ventilation and a ratchet strap as opposed to a D ring. I'm leaning towards saving 130 bucks but only if the Neotec II is worth the extra money
Old 06-29-2018, 12:26 PM
El Moderador

Send a message via Skype™ to HDF
Re: Shoei Neotec I or Neotrc II

Sorry I can't give you a comparison of the two. I have the Neotec II and am very pleased with it, but I've never owned the Neotec I. The Shoei replaced a Shuberth C3, which quite frankly I was a bit disappointed with. The C3 always leaked water, no matter what was done (replacing shield, etc.) and you could never keep the shield open, it would slam shut at about 15 mph - not so the Shoei.

My wife's C3 had the same issues and she too got the Neotec II and finds it significantly better than the Shuberth (including better quality construction).

But that doesn't answer your question. Nonetheless, I thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth.

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDF
Sorry I can't give you a comparison of the two. I have the Neotec II and am very pleased with it, but I've never owned the Neotec I. The Shoei replaced a Shuberth C3, which quite frankly I was a bit disappointed with. The C3 always leaked water, no matter what was done (replacing shield, etc.) and you could never keep the shield open, it would slam shut at about 15 mph - not so the Shoei.

My wife's C3 had the same issues and she too got the Neotec II and finds it significantly better than the Shuberth (including better quality construction).

But that doesn't answer your question. Nonetheless, I thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth.

Thanks I appreciate your input
Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Wellcraft,

I recently bought a Neotec and wore it for about two weeks, 1K miles, and was very pleased with it EXCEPT. I was upgrading (I thought) from an LS2, that i was very pleased with and the ratchet chin strap. Well, the Neotec has double D rings. I tried several aftermarket clasps on the II but just wasn't good. Called Shoei to purchase Euro chinstraps with the ratchet and they wouldn't sell them. They did recommend the Neotec II that comes standard with a very good ratchet. I took it back to the shop and they gave me the full credit towards the II !! I like the ratchet that much. It's stronger than the double D rings, too.

Anyway, aside from the ratchet, the II is maybe a little slicker aerodynamically, possibly quieter, fits a little looser, vents a little better. Is any of this worth $200 to you?? Was to me.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:36 PM
Thanked 1,402 Times in 790 Posts

Hey Wellcraft. I currently have a Schuberth C3 Pro and two Shoei X11s. In my view the Schuberth bests the Shoei in every respect. Build quality lightness comfort and quietness. Iíve found the neotec very heavy in comparison but that was only from picking it up. Iíve never actually worn one. I note that HDF had a very different experience with the C3 so whether or not the C3 Pro improved those issues, Iím not sure.All my helmets have been Shoeis but I like the Schuberth so much that I would buy another one without even trying a Shoei.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 06-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes
Wellcraft,

I recently bought a Neotec and wore it for about two weeks, 1K miles, and was very pleased with it EXCEPT. I was upgrading (I thought) from an LS2, that i was very pleased with and the ratchet chin strap. Well, the Neotec has double D rings. I tried several aftermarket clasps on the II but just wasn't good. Called Shoei to purchase Euro chinstraps with the ratchet and they wouldn't sell them. They did recommend the Neotec II that comes standard with a very good ratchet. I took it back to the shop and they gave me the full credit towards the II !! I like the ratchet that much. It's stronger than the double D rings, too.

Anyway, aside from the ratchet, the II is maybe a little slicker aerodynamically, possibly quieter, fits a little looser, vents a little better. Is any of this worth $200 to you?? Was to me.

How did you like the LS2? I had considered buying a LS2 but the sales woman at Revzilla convinced me the Shoei was the better constructed helmet. Money is important to me and if can save over a hundred bucks I will but I dont mind spending the extra money if the upgrades are worth it. I've been using D rings all my riding career and have zero issues so that's not a concern for me. My top concerns are quiet, lighter and of course price. I wore my Shoei GT Air on a 300 mile ride and by the end of the day my neck and shoulders hurt.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
Hey Wellcraft. I currently have a Schuberth C3 Pro and two Shoei X11s. In my view the Schuberth bests the Shoei in every respect. Build quality lightness comfort and quietness. Iíve found the neotec very heavy in comparison but that was only from picking it up. Iíve never actually worn one. I note that HDF had a very different experience with the C3 so whether or not the C3 Pro improved those issues, Iím not sure.All my helmets have been Shoeis but I like the Schuberth so much that I would buy another one without even trying a Shoei.

None of the Schuberth I've looked at really appeal to me but I'll check them out to see how they fit my head before making a decision. Thanks for your input I appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:20 PM

Wellcraft,

The main reason the saleswoman at RevZilla wanted you to buy the Shoei is that SHE and RevZilla MAKE MORE MONEY on the Shoei, plain and simple. It's called "UPSELLING", increases the bottom line. Us guys are suckers for it when a girl is doing it to us, too. AMHIK.

I really had NO COMPLAINTS with the LS2. I looked at a bunch of helmets before buying it. I started with the Full Face LS2 but I wear glasses and it was a PITA. Went to their modular 2 years ago and it is still a very good helmet to me. Not heavy but don't recall the weight. Never made me tired or sore, and I'm not Atlas.

The MAIN THING is that LS2's fit "LONG OVAL" heads very well per RevZilla and I qualify. So does the Shoei. The LS2 for me is by far the best buy of all helmets: excellent chinstrap ratchet, excellent drop-down tinted sun visor (that clears my glasses and over-fit polarized sunglasses), was dry in the rain, excellent workmanship and components, pin-lock screens, very good vents, and all the moving parts work flawlessly for me. I have disassembled both helmets farther than you are supposed to and there are negligible differences between the LS2 and Shoei components and construction that I can see. They pass the same safety tests.

The only issue I had with the LS2 modular was the chin curtain coming loose around the face release button. And that was only occasionally, really kinda trivial. If I was smart, I'd have stayed with it and my $700. And my head ain't worth the difference, but like I said, "IF I was smart..." Just got to feelin a little snooty, too big for my britches, I guess. Actually, I could have put a "SHOEI" sticker on the front of the LS2 and no one would know the difference and thought I was somebody.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:40 PM
Site Contributor

I have just bought my wife a Neotech1 same reason $110 cheaper than the 2, first time weve had a modular in the cupboard, she tells me its a lot more comfortable than the Rjays she had before, as she is a pillion on the back of the GSA mostly she reckons its noisey enough but much better than the Rjays, I have it wired with the Cardo Packtalk and she really luvs the flip down sunshade.

The older I get, the better I was

Old 06-30-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox
I have just bought my wife a Neotech1 same reason $110 cheaper than the 2, first time weve had a modular in the cupboard, she tells me its a lot more comfortable than the Rjays she had before, as she is a pillion on the back of the GSA mostly she reckons its noisey enough but much better than the Rjays, I have it wired with the Cardo Packtalk and she really luvs the flip down sunshade.

Greyfox,

I "luv" the flip down sunshade, too!! It really comes in handy driving into bright sunlight even with sunglasses. Flips up quickly for tunnels.

I found it very convenient to put a 3/4" wide strip of black electrical tape across the very top of the sunshade. In the morning and evening when the sun is low you can lower the sunshade just enough to keep the sun out of your eyes. During the day I raise it enough to hide the tape and get a full view.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes
Wellcraft,

I really had NO COMPLAINTS with the LS2. I looked at a bunch of helmets before buying it. I started with the Full Face LS2 but I wear glasses and it was a PITA. Went to their modular 2 years ago and it is still a very good helmet to me. Not heavy but don't recall the weight. Never made me tired or sore, and I'm not Atlas.

The MAIN THING is that LS2's fit "LONG OVAL" heads very well per RevZilla and I qualify. So does the Shoei. The LS2 for me is by far the best buy of all helmets: excellent chinstrap ratchet, excellent drop-down tinted sun visor (that clears my glasses and over-fit polarized sunglasses), was dry in the rain, excellent workmanship and components, pin-lock screens, very good vents, and all the moving parts work flawlessly for me. I have disassembled both helmets farther than you are supposed to and there are negligible differences between the LS2 and Shoei components and construction that I can see. They pass the same safety tests.

I think I'm going to go with the LS2, the LS2 originally caught my attention because it has the capability to ride with the chin bar raised so that's a plus especially now with temps in the high 90's. I already own a Shoei GT Air and RF1200 so I think I'll pass on the Neotec for now. Thanks for everyone's input and advice it really did help me make a decision.