I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > General Discussions > Dealer Experiences
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Dealer Experiences Good, Bad, Ugly? Share with us !

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Getting up to speed

Question Problems after service at dealership

Hi there,

This is long. However, the important details are in bold blue. You can skip the rest if you're impatient. I provided as much detail as possible because I'm just like that.

I have a 2014 K1300S, 31 days ago I was a few hundred miles into a road trip out of state when my service indicator came on @ around 48500mi.

For the record, my bike has been flawless since purchased new Jan of 2014. All services have been performed on schedule by a BMW Service center (dealership) and I have had no problems whatsoever. Bike has run perfectly, no issues, no leaks, nothing to be concerned about. Aside from the out of pocket cost of service, I have been happy.

Back to my trip... service indicator comes on and I think no problem, there's a dealership in the area where I am headed. I made the same trip two years ago, service indicator came on, I called ahead, and they took me in that same day for a minor service. So I am familiar with that particular dealership.

So again, I call ahead and let them know I'm traveling from out of town, service light came on and they agreed to take me in. This time, my bike was due for a major service which consisted of valve check (valves in spec, no adjustment needed, new gaskets installed), new plugs, new air and oil filters, differential gear oil replaced (gasket and o-ring replaced), brake fluid replaced front and rear, lube ball joint clamp, and rear brake disk replaced. They even cleaned out large population of bug carcasses that had collected in the oil cooler.

Both visits to this particular dealership have been great. They're courteous, friendly, and on this recent visit they even agreed to give me a brand new 2018 GSA as a loaner for 24hrs while they performed the needed work.

526 mi ride home the next day was fine. No issues. Washed bugs off bike the following day, noticed oil level was about a quart low, immediately topped it off, and have been keeping an eye on the oil level which has stayed where it should be.

About a week ago, I was roughly 70 mi from home and noticed streaks of fluid on the lower right side of the pan fairing. Thought it was brake fluid due to the streaks forming from the front of the fairing running rearward. Brakes fine, no fluid leaking from caliper. Looking at the engine on the opposite side of the fairing with flashlight I could see fluid all over the back side of the plastic, and a distinct smell of engine oil. Washed oil off outside of fairing, gently rode home, checked for oil again, new streaks forming in same location. Haven't yet removed the plastic to inspect further, but it does seem that the leak may be coming from the lower right side of the cylinder head from what i can determine with the limited visibility. Bike has never previously leaked any oil whatsoever, and has never smelled of engine oil or anything of the sort.

This is definitely something very new. I am meticulous with the care and maintenance of this bike. It has always been kept in near showroom condition. I noticed the oil leak about a week ago on the 26th, coincidentally an hour later I found out that a close friend had passed away and returned home to deal with that. Also had another 1000+ mi trip planned a few days later and fortunately was able to get my KLR together as a backup and rode that instead.

I'm tempted to remove the plastic and see if I can determine exactly what's going on. I am reluctant to do so since I strongly believe whatever the problem is, it was caused by the recent dealer service and I don't think I ought to touch the bike and should take it to my local dealer and let them figure it out. I haven't yet had a chance to call the dealer where I had the service performed and let them know about the problem. I'm attending my friends viewing today, and the memorial service is tomorrow. Will be busy the next few days helping his family clean out his apartment and storage etc... It's been 31 days and 1000 mi since my bike was serviced. What is the protocol here? If someone has had a similar experience, what was the outcome? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also worth noting, the work order provided by the service manager shows the miles in identical to the miles out. This may suggest that the tech didn't take the bike on a proper test ride after performing the service. My previous experiences have shown that a few miles had accumulated on the odometer at the time of pick-up indicating that the tech had test ridden the bike. I suppose I will find out when I do speak to them.

Thanks for reading.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Speed Demon

Re: Problems after service at dealership

Not defending the dealership but a lot can go wrong in 31 days and 1000 miles. It could be the servicing dealers fault or it could be a coincidence hard to tell until you start disassembling things. I'd contact the dealership where the work was completed, explain the issue and give them a chance to respond. Even if they are responsible it might be hard to prove it, it also might be a simple fix like torqueing some bolts down.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Site Contributor

Valve cover not tightened down or the gasket pinched?

This is where a service center makes or breaks a customer experience.

On the one hand, 1000 miles and 1 month later they pretty much have to take your word that the problem started immediately after their service.

On the other hand, how much would an offer for free service to take a look at the problem and see if indeed it was related to the valve check, cost them?

I don't think it's a tough call. Call them and explain the situation. Have an idea what you want and see what they offer.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:29 PM
Getting up to speed

I agree with both points. It's pretty clear what I have to do next. Just wasn't sure if there was a protocol here that I am unaware of. Dealership where the work was performed is 526 miles away. Figured I would call them to discuss and see if they would cover the cost of inspection at another (local) dealership. I am reluctant to turn a screw and inspect myself. I am a very competent mechanic, however my future ownership of this bike is uncertain therefore I have always had the dealership perform servicing. I am hoping it is as simple as an improper bolt torque issue. I'll call the dealership and see what they are willing to do. I have omitted the name of the dealership just to be fair. I have had great experiences with them and have been considering them for my next BMW purchase. There's enough slander going on in the forums, I try not to add to that. Positive praise for a job well done or outstanding treatment by a dealer goes a lot further.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Site Contributor

I would at least take the fairings off and look where its coming from.....
Your dealership can't talk themselves out of their responsibility because you are doing no "maintenance" to the bike (disconnect hoses, unscrew engine parts etc)

It would be the same as looking under the hood of your car.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:43 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Valve cover not tightened down or the gasket pinched?

This is where a service center makes or breaks a customer experience.

On the one hand, 1000 miles and 1 month later they pretty much have to take your word that the problem started immediately after their service.

On the other hand, how much would an offer for free service to take a look at the problem and see if indeed it was related to the valve check, cost them?

I don't think it's a tough call. Call them and explain the situation. Have an idea what you want and see what they offer.

Shit happens, people make mistakes. Let your local dealer go at it and if the valve cover wasn't tightened correctly or the gasket was pooched then it seems reasonable the dealer that did the work should reimburse you for the corrective cost. Having said that, a phone call to let them know what is going on would probably be a good courtesy.

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-K' for this post:
Old 07-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Similar thing happened to a mates s1000rr tappet cover gasket not fitted correctly. Dealer replaced at no cost but it was a local dealership.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:27 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83
I would at least take the fairings off and look where its coming from.....
Your dealership can't talk themselves out of their responsibility because you are doing no "maintenance" to the bike (disconnect hoses, unscrew engine parts etc)

It would be the same as looking under the hood of your car.

Very good point. One I hadn't thought of as I have had to put this on the back burner until today. And this is exactly why I posted. I need this kind of feedback. Much appreciated!

Ok then... plastic is coming off.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 AM
Twisted Wrister

Let us know what you find - I can't see it being anything other than a misaligned or faulty cam cover gasket?
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 07-03-2018, 08:00 AM
Certified Hooligan

Call the dealer and speak with the service manager. Most dealers with a van or truck will pick it up from home.
2011 DR650
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Aviator' for this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,207 Times in 2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlexia
Ok then... plastic is coming off.
Take pictures as you go along. You can also send those to the dealer.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!